Everyday Happenings Of A Wife And Mother

Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 11th, 2012

The other night, June 11th to be exact, was a special night in the Burkart home.


I was tucking James in for the night.  I try to pray with him before i leave his room for the night, but usually i either forget or i have something that comes up.  But that day, James was covered in little boo boos. (he is definitely a boy) He had scraped his knee on the pavement while trying to run really fast.  He also had another boo boo on his arm that was a bug bite.  I asked him, "would you like mommy to pray over your boo boos."  Shaking his head "yes" i prayed for him.  At the end of our prayers we always say - 'in Jesus' name, Amen.'  After i gave him a kiss good night i thought i was in the clear to head downstairs for the night...but then i heard his sweet little voice say, "mommy, where's Jesus?"  Thinking he would be satisfied with my answer i said, "heaven, honey."  "where's heaven?"  I sat back down on his little bed, and began a conversation that i did not think would happen this soon at 2 1/2 years old. 
I told James how beautiful heaven is and that it is way up in the sky past the stars and how happy everyone is there.(i had to figure out toddler terms haha)  That Jesus is there waiting for us.  "Let's go, mommy. Let's go," James said, thinking we were going to pack our things and set off for heaven.  "Not yet, honey...someday we will all go to heaven and be together......do you know how you get to heaven James?...You have to have Jesus in your heart.  Do you want to ask Jesus into your heart?" i asked.  "yes," he said with a sweet smile.  I called Ryan to come upstairs to go through this together with James.  James laid his head on his pillow while Ryan sat by his bed and i sat on the foot of his bed.  "Okay, say what i say James...Jesus, please come into my heart. I love you. Amen."  (short but to the point haha)  And he repeated that.  With tears in my eyes, we both hugged our little doodlebug and told him how proud we are of him.  As we were heading out of his room, James said, "Where's Jesus?...in my heart."  
I know he is only 2 1/2, and he will make his own decisions when he is older...but it just made me feel like we are doing something right.  I have always wanted our kids to always know that we (Ryan and i) love them no matter what and that Jesus loves them...no matter what. 
I want to teach our kids what is really important in life...the best that i can do is try to lead by example. 
(Take time to listen to your kids and talk with them...no matter how crazy the subject - bugs, airplanes, food, or Jesus. haha. Doing this will make them feel valued.) :)


*Will post about Baby Adam and the whole delivery story soon!*


Our Boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment